First thing you need to know is the different kinds of goat breeds you can raise in the Philippines, well choosing the right breed is crucial and in order to reach the maximum potential earnings you must make the right choice. Below are the goat breeds you can raise in the Philippines.
Recommended Goat Breeds
- Anglo-Nubian - Basically they are tropical breed that was successfully adopted in Western countries. It has long body which usually weighs around 70-90 kilograms when they reach maturity and they can also produce 1-2 liters of milk a day, if you feed it with right forage they can produce more. If you want to earn from sale of meat and milk I recommend Anglo-Nubian because they can produce ample supply of meat and milk.
- Boer - If you are going for a meat type breed then you must have heard of Boer type goats, they have distinct white color and usually reddish brown to black from rear and legs to head. They weighs an average of 90 kilograms when they reach maturity. If you want to start a goat business focusing on meat then you must use Boer to upgrade your goats.
- Saanen - Saanen originated from Switzerland, they are known in their pure white to off-white color. Saanen holds the highest milk produces averaging from 1.8 liters up to 2 liters daily. The average weight when they reach maturity is 70 kilograms. If you like to focus on milk producing goats then pure bred Saanen is recommended.
- Native - The bred that is native in our country, it is stocky and can withstand the climate in our country. Their milk production is only enough for its kids and they usually weighs 20-30 kilograms when they reach maturity. Native goats are great for beginners.
Guide in Selecting Does
- The does you will purchase must be from the same area or climate conditions of your farm.
- Do not buy breeders from the market.
- If you will purchase native or upgraded does, make sure they are not less than 25 kilos.
- Check the udders for lumps, size and other abnormalities than can affect their offspring in the future.
- The goats you will purchase must be alert and well formed pupils. They must have good appetite so they can grow faster and healthy.
- Teats must be uniform in length for easier milking.
Guide in Selecting Bucks
- If the buck has successfully mated once then its good.
- The buck must be active and always ready to breed a doe in heat.
- Pedigree records is a must, if they don't have it then consider buying somewhere else.
Production Inputs for Backyard Operations
- Goat house
- Purchase of breeding stock
- Veterinary medicine
- Vitamins and Supplements
Production Inputs for Commercial Operations
- Goat house
- Water pump
- Pasture grass
- Purchase of does
- Purchase of bucks
- Veterinary medicines
- Maintenance of pasture field
To continue our discussions about goat raising business in the Philippines please proceed below.
Pasture Fields for Goats
Housing Guide for Goats
Goat Disease and How to Avoid them
Goat Raising Management
Goat Feeding Requirements
Its now time for decisive moment, how can you sell your stocks, be it carcass, alive or their milk, the most important thing is you can sell them and make some profit. If you are selling your stocks make sure you put a sign, be it outside your house, beside the highway or in the market, put your cellphone number so the potential customer can contact you. It is a good idea to visit your local market and nearby town market and look for meat vendors who are selling chevon or goat meat, you can offer them your stocks and lower the price a bit so they will be encouraged to get some meat to you. If you already establish a good market then your business will run smoothly and I congratulate you because you just found a business opportunity and earn profit from it.
If you want to know more business opportunities in the Philippines, I recommend that you browse this blog and get some updated information that you can use in your plans and feasibility study. I will not only tackle about agriculture business in the Philippines like goat raising, duck raising, growing vegetables and other stuffs, I will also give you tips and advice on SME and other money making business opportunities.